Four Fast and Delicious Dinner Recipes
Oct 23, 2014 by Smart Blog
Sometimes, dinner can't wait. You may be going out for the evening and so are in a hurry to eat and leave. Perhaps somebody has called round unexpectedly and you need something to feed him or her with - fast. Perhaps the children are nagging for some dinner or maybe you just feel very hungry and you need food - now!
Whichever of these applies, here are some quick and delicious supper, lunch or dinner recipes. They all take less than half an hour to prepare, but none of them compromise on flavour. Happy eating!
- Melt 25g butter and one tablespoon of olive oil in a pan, and then fry a chopped onion until it is caramelised.
- Add two crushed cloves of garlic, a tablespoon of paprika and 400g of sliced mushrooms. Cook these together for five or six minutes, stirring well all the while.
- Next, add 60ml of sherry. Allow that to sit and bubble for a minute or two then pour on 100ml of stock - chicken or vegetable is best.
- Keep the mixture on the heat for a few minutes while it thickens. Once that is done, turn down the heat and add 150ml of soured cream. Stir everything well to combine it, then serve with salad and/or rice as preferred.
Speedy Sweet and Sour
- First, make the sweet and sour sauce. Put 250ml pineapple juice, 75ml water, 50ml vinegar, 15ml soy sauce, 120g brown sugar (ideally muscovado sugar) and 50g cornflour into a saucepan. Cook these together over a medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When the sauce has achieved the thickness desired, stir fry chicken/pork/prawns and vegetables as desired, and pour the sweet and sour sauce on top to serve.
- This sauce also tastes great with sausages.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C, cut a baguette into quarters and split those quarters (so that you have eight pieces of bread). Toast the bread lightly in the oven - this will probably take a few minutes.
- Mix some tomato puree with a little olive oil and crushed garlic. Spread this mixture on each of the toasted baguette slices.
- If you have any dried or fresh Italian herbs, you may wish to add them at this point.
- On top of the tomato mixture, place appropriate vegetables such as sliced peppers, onion and cherry tomatoes. You could also add some tinned tuna or anchovies, for an extra flavour hit.
- Top generously with grated cheese - mozzarella is ideal but cheddar will do at a push!
- Bake for 5-8 minutes.
Healthy Salmon Burgers
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C. Put the following into a mixing bowl: one tin of drained flaked salmon, one beaten egg, one tablespoon olive oil, two chopped spring onions and 75g breadcrumbs. Mix them together well until everything is combined.
- Form the mixture into burger shapes and bake until they are golden on both sides (this should take about 12 minutes).
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce, salad and/or rice or noodles, as desired.